training in self-management support
Do you work for an organization that works
with clients living with anxiety, depression
or bipolarity? Would you like to take self-management support training to be able
to lead one of our workshops?
Relief offers a one-day self-management support training course for professionals like you who would like to learn more about this approach validated by clinical research so they can incorporate it into their interventions with people living with anxiety, depression or bipolarity.
the J'avance! program becomes...
Initially developed in 2010, the J’avance! program for self-managing anxiety, depression and bipolarity consists of five self-management workshops that are at the core of our mission and our services.
The workshops have been offered by Relief for the past 10 years, and made available on a large scale since 2014 through a network of some 60 partner organizations across different regions of Quebec.
discover our self-management workshops
Would you like to learn more about our self-management workshops before considering training?
Our training activities are maintained. Due to public health guidelines, we have chosen to hold them via videoconference.
Unless otherwise specified, training is offered in French.
- Thursday, October 14, 2021, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., by videoconference * FULL *
- Thursday, November 18, 2021, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., by videoconference * FULL *
- Thursday, December 9, 2021, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., by videoconference
- Thursday, January 13, 2022, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., by videoconference
- Thursday, January 27, 2022, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., by videoconference
- Thursday, February 17, 2022, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., by videoconference
- Thursday, March 17, 2022, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., by videoconference
* When the training is about to be complete, you can register to reserve a place. We will confirm your registration by email or suggest another date.
A minimum number of registrations are required. We reserve the right to cancel a training course if it does not bring together enough participants. Where applicable, we will only reimburse the registration fees already paid.
The registration fee for the Self-Management Support Training is $397 (taxes not applicable) and includes a facilitator’s guide based on your chosen theme (anxiety, depression, bipolarity, self-esteem, workplace balance).
objectives of the training
- Develop a better understanding of the self-management support approach
- Address key elements of self-management support (autonomy, empowerment, self-efficacy)
- Familiarize yourself with the content of Relief’s self-management workshops
A certificate for seven hours of training will be given to you upon completion of the training, recognized by:
- The Ordre des psychologues du Québec
- The Ordre des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec
required experience and training
- Being employed by an organization that works with clients living with anxiety, depression or bipolarity;
- Having at least one year of experience working with people who are living with anxiety, depression or bipolarity; OR
- Possessing any other equivalent experience or training in mental health intervention, including psychology, social work, career development, occupational therapy, nursing, psychoeducation, sexology or peer intervention;
- Being available for Relief’s one-day training on self-management support
The workshops were designed to be given by co-facilitators, i.e., two people with the recommended profile who have received training from Relief. Complementary profiles can enhance the quality of the intervention.
qualities and key competencies
- Familiarity with anxiety, depression and bipolarity
- Strong intervention skills
- Outstanding teamwork (co-facilitation) skills
- Familiarity with the mental health network and local resources
- Ability to assess a person’s urgency and suicide risk, and to intervene accordingly
- Ability to adapt to various issues that might arise in a group setting
- Ability to demonstrate humility and respect, and to acknowledge the abilities and subjective experiences of individuals living with anxiety, depression or bipolarity
- Ability to empathize and recognize the intrinsic value of individuals living with anxiety, depression or bipolarity
are you a mental health nurse?
We offer custom-tailored training on how to support depression self-management. This training is offered through the continuing education catalogue of the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec. Stay tuned! More information will be coming your way soon.
Questions? Please contact us via email.
what is self-management?
Self-management refers to taking action to regain control over our mental health through daily behaviours that diminish symptoms, help prevent relapses and improve well-being. A self-management approach does not replace conventional treatment, but can be a very effective complement to psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy.
what does a self-management workshop actually consist of?
A self-management workshop is a group based psychoeducational intervention. Each workshop is composed of 10 to 15 participants and lasts 10 to 12 weeks, with a 2.5-hour meeting each week. Participants complete exercises and reflections at home, engage in group discussions in the workshop, and have access to resources (organized by topic).
who are the self-management workshops for?
- Anyone 18 years of age or older living with anxiety, depression or bipolarity. No diagnosis is required, except for the Living with Bipolarity workshop.
- The intensity of symptoms can vary widely, from mild to severe.
- To participate, an individual must find that the signs and manifestations of their anxiety, depression or bipolarity sufficiently affect their well-being and functioning to justify spending a total of 25 hours in a group workshop.
how many participants are required in order to hold a self-management workshop?
We recommend starting off a group when there are 8 to 15 participants, in order to be able to reproduce the desired group effect even if a few participants withdraw along the way.
training on self-management support
what does the training consist of?
The training is seven hours long and introduces the concepts and fundamentals of self-management support for mental health. The approach is theoretical and lecture-based, but also includes role-play scenarios drawn from the self-management workshops.
why is training required to be able to facilitate the self-management workshops?
We want to ensure that the workshop is offered as originally designed, regardless of where it is held in Quebec or by which organization. The self-management workshops have undergone rigorous content validation by a committee of experts.
who can facilitate the workshops?
Mental health professionals such as psychologists, social workers, psychoeducators, occupational therapists, nurses, and trained workers can lead our self-management workshops. It may also be appropriate to offer co-facilitation by a professional and a certified peer helper. Please consult the recommended profile for details.
why is co-facilitation required?
Co-facilitation is recommended and is standard practice for most programs involving recurrent mental-health group interventions. Among other things, co-facilitation helps to manage difficult situations within the group.